The new products introduced today are Microsoft® Wireless Base Station MN-700, a router with an integrated 802.11g wireless access point and four-point Ethernet switch; Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-720, which adds a notebook computer to the wireless network; Wireless PCI Adapter MN-730, which adds a desktop computer to the network; Wireless Notebook Kit MN-820, with everything users need to create a wireless network for a desktop and notebook; and Xbox® Wireless Adapter MN-740, the only comprehensive, first-party solution for high- performance Xbox gaming without the hassle of wires.
"Wi-Fi is an exploding technology with adoption growing at a rapid pace," said Todd Greenberg, product manager for Microsoft Broadband Networking. "Microsoft Wireless-G products feature standards- based technology to ensure compatibility; an enhanced, proprietary Setup Wizard for easy network setup; and premier security out of the box, making it easy for consumers to join this trend."
Key features of Microsoft Wireless-G include the following:
- Easy installation. Microsoft Wireless-G is designed to make high- performance wireless home networking easy. An enhanced Setup Wizard provides step-by-step instructions for installation and enables additional PCs to be added to the network quickly and efficiently.
- Auto Update. Microsoft’s proprietary Auto Update service automatically sends a message when updates are available, keeping consumers up to date with ever-changing software enhancements. The Wireless Base Station MN-700 is powered by Windows® CE .NET 4.2, enabling Microsoft, its partners and other developers to create additional applications and benefits for customers.
- Premier security. Wireless-G helps keep the network safe from wireless eavesdroppers with premier, easy-to-use security features, including Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA). In addition, Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) is automatically turned on by the Setup Wizard and a stateful packet inspection (SPI) hardware firewall helps protect users from Internet intruders.
- High performance at the speed of G. Wireless-G supports speeds of up to 54 Mbps and includes Parental Controls, the first key feature written for the flexible Windows CE platform. Parental controls allow parents or employers enhanced control over access to Internet content via the network.
- Innovations in wireless gaming. Co-developed by Xbox and Microsoft Broadband Networking, Xbox Wireless Adapter enables gamers to play on the Xbox Live™ service from any Xbox-connected television in the home — without wires — by adding Xbox to an existing 802.11g or 802.11b Wi-Fi network.
Now you can add your Microsoft Xbox® video game console to your high speed wireless network! Play Xbox on any TV in your home, with the assurance of the leading wireless security.